Tasmania: Hobart

After a rather chilly night in the wilderness, we woke up and went to explore (since we arrived in the pitch black).

It was absolutely gorgeous!! There were two converted watertanks nestled in the middle of the woods. Here’s ours:

And next to them was a massive wooden boat, which we assumed was for children to play in:

After that, we headed through some thick bushes and came out to the cutest place; a wee river that had houses on each side:

The exploring had made us hungry, so we headed back to the block that had electricity and made some brekkie; consisting of coffee and the fruit picked from Sorell. We said goodbye to our pal Thor the staffie and packed up the car once more.

We didn’t really know what else there was to do in Port Arthur, so I got up Google Maps and saw that there was a chocolate factory near us. Obviously we went.

We had tastings of all the varieties, saw the staff making the chocolate and learned all about the origins of the company. The place was called Federation Chocolate, it’s run by a husband and wife duo but has been in the community for many years. All the chocolate is lactose and gluten free, and it is all made in Tasmania.

Mum bought some bars and I just carried on with the free samples…

Back on the road again, then we were advised to make another stop; this time to the Tasman Blowhole. We made it just in time before the tourists, so had front row seats to nature’s show.

After that, we wandered down to yet another stunning waterfront:

It was time to get back in the car and drive a little over an hour to Hobart. It took a little getting used to, since this was the biggest place in Tasmania and we were used to quiet wee towns.

The first stop in Hobart was MONA, the Museum of Old and New Art. Mum is very arty so she was looking forward to this, and I was told by my friends that it was an amazing place.

Here’s some pictures inside the museum:

Let’s just say it wasn’t our cup of tea; mum, bless her, kept asking where the old art section was. MONA was strange and different; something we weren’t used to, so couldn’t fully immerse ourselves. We did enjoy the plaster-casts of vaginas all over the walls though…

After MONA, we headed to our final accommodation of the trip, AND BOY WAS IT STRESSFUL! So mum the whole way had been ‘nervous’ about my driving, when it was actually fine, however when we got into Hobart during rush hour and the start of the Easter holidays; I started to panic. The were four lanes merging everywhere and so many cars. I was stressed. We went over the bridge to get into Hobart twice and did around five loops of the city. We eventually found our hotel and luckily a woman pulled out, so I parked the car before I had a breakdown.

Mum then said I handled that very well and that I was a good driver. I was very proud.

After that ordeal, we had another one! There was no key to let us in to the hotel! However, it did get sorted after me calling the owner several times. We got in our room, let out a sigh of relief and got ready for dinner.

Mum was looking forward to getting to Hobart, so we were straight back out to explore. It was very busy because of the holidays but was a gorgeous place based on a bay.

We then went for dinner at a fish n chip restaurant by the sea, mum had fish and chips again (I swear this was the fourth time she’d had it) and I went for grilled blue eye, a firm white fish, with polenta gnocchi, olives and broccolini.

It was delicious! You could taste how fresh the fish was, and yet again, such simple/clean flavours were used. We also had some more Tassie vino because of all the stress that day! Mum and I really wanted to try different seafood on this trip, like Tasmanian salmon, crab, lobster etc. and were shocked at the prices they were going for everywhere. So, we got chatting to the owner of the restaurant and he explained that due to the high seafood demand from China, everything is exported – thus bring up the price in restaurants. I understand that trade is good for the economy but not being able to afford fresh, local seafood was kinda sad to me. This is coming from a girl who grew up in Portsmouth and would live off of prawns and crabs legs.Β 

After the lovely dinner, we went for another wander round Hobart and took in the nightlife. We were pretty tired so headed back to bed.

It was a lovely last night in Tassie.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s